Manchester United are in the summer transfer window for a new centre-back.
Jose Mourinho wants to find a long-term partner for Eric Bailly after seemingly not having faith in either Phil Jones nor Chris Smalling, whilst last summer’s big signing, Victor Lindelof, failed to settle into life in the Premier League.
Earlier this summer we had been strongly linked with a move for Barcelona’s Samuel Umtiti, until the French international signed a new deal with the La Liga giants.
Other reports suggested that if we missed out on Umtiti we would make a move for Sevilla’s Clement Lenglet instead.
However, it appears we’ve missed out on another French centre-back as Spanish outlet Sport are reporting that the 22-year-old is on his way to Barcelona in a €35 million deal – the price of the player’s buy-out clause.
The report claims that Lenglet has told friends and family that he will sign a five-year deal at the Catalan club with the transfer officially going through on 1 July.
This will be a blow for us now that we are heading towards the end of June and Jose Mourinho is yet to bring a new centre-back in this summer.
We remain interested in Tottenham Hotspur’s Toby Alderweireld but it seems we may be priced out for the Belgium international by the North London club.
- Man Utd showing interest in signing Jonathan Tah in January
- Manchester United handed boost as Casemiro returns from injury and has started training on the pitch
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million